These days, computers are widely used at almost every place and for doing a lot of jobs and work, Sometimes we have some printed documents (Copied) and we want to bring it to some Document writer/editor (ex. Microsoft Word) to quote or edit the text (make it larger, change it’s type, … etc) to reprint it again or make the document searchable, this is a hard process, it would take 45 minute to print and process only one paper if you don’t have good skills to write fast on your keyboard, you can instantly change the printed document (Photo) to a text-based searchable document by using a technology called OCR (Optical Character Recognition), there are lots of OCR applications that i have used before, but the best and most convenient paid OCR software is ABBYY Finereader, it has the most powerful character Recognition technology that I have ever seen, it would take you only few minutes to process 2-3 pages document and verify it!
#1 Test :
In this text I will use some scanned letter from my English exercise book,
in this test (this scanned document uses sans-serif font, all the text was recognized correctly 100%
#2 Test :
in this test i will use less sharp document with different font type.
actually, Finereader has made some mistakes here, probably because of the low quality photo or because of the font type, however, you can easily see that the blue areas contains text that the engine not sure about it is correct or not, the yellow areas show the wrong text…
this is the hardest text, it has low quality picture with different font sizes and types, it has even two languages Arabic and English.
This product actually has too many features that I can’t mention them here, but I will mention the that I found really useful :
- Verify text :if the software has made some simple mistakes you can easily edit and correct them, when you put your mouse cursor on some letter, it shows you the letter in the original to make it easier to correct the mistake.
- Detect pictures : it can easily detect pictures and not to process them (as they are not part of the text).
- Multi export formats : you can export to many files types including Microsoft and text ones.
- Microsoft office integration.
- Match the processed document letters with the original document ones.
- easy to use, user-friendly interface and amazing windows 8 integration.
Problems I have experienced :
- when language is on “Auto-select” Finereader sometimes rotate the document so it reads the whole document badly, I personally fix it by manual rotate in the left side of the scanned documents.
- when I select document or start processing it sometimes “not responding”, all you have to do is wait and it will respond (it never crashes).
Future suggestions :
Abbyy finereader is a great software so I would like to suggest more features to improve it 🙂
- Export text as PDF (like make it sharp, not based on the original).
- option to translate using online/free dictionaries.
Abbyy finereader 12 is professional software and it is probably the best OCR software I’ve ever tried, and I would like to suggest everyone who want a quick and fast way to convert the printed documents to a text-based ones, I really enjoyed it’s features and fast recognition, it just needs some stability improvements to fix the “not responding error”, I would rate this software :
- Features : 10/10.
- Performance : 10/10.
- Stability : 8.5/10.
- Start time : 10/10.
- Function: 9/10
- Price : 8/10.
- Overall : 9.25/10.
- Compared to other I’ve used : #1.
Thanks for reading!